Monday, August 28, 2023

Hey Guys, Just Wondering



The Suffer in Silence article is coming sometime soon. I have been quite busy with different things pertaining to the physical and mental/learning side of life.

Today I thought I would bring up something I've been wondering about for a while. I don't why it bugs me but it seems indicative of the kind of society we've morphed into.

Here it is: At what point did it become more acceptable for males to greet each other with a hug as opposed to a handshake? This practice has become quite prevalent in recent years.

Personally? I don't want to hug any male. It's weird and uncomfortable.

I asked this question on a self-described FB alpha male site a few years back. You know the type, the one that says if you don't sport a full beard then you can't be a REAL man. Well, the guy got back to me and said the kind of hug he gave was like the one Stallone gave in one of his Rocky movies, a sort of shoulder-to-shoulder hug. I sensed he was surprised by my question, maybe a little uncomfortable with it. To his response I say, Yeah, I think I'll base my social skills, for lack of a better word, on what a movie has or what an actor does.

For males, I think it is better to look to the alpha males of many, many years ago as role models in such matters and behavior. And frankly, I couldn't imagine any of them giving each other hugs when they met.

Don't forget this, We're not them!

No comments:

Post a Comment