Monday, July 24, 2023

Why I Don't Go to Commercial Gyms

There was a time many decades ago, emphasis on many here, where gyms were vastly different than the ones that exist today. Most, if not all, were not co-ed, there was no cardio equipment, no TV's or sound systems. It was a bare bones set-up with weights and a minimum of weight machines. A classic example of this type of gym would be one called "The Dungeon" in Southern California. Google Dave Draper and the Dungeon to read a fascinating account of how it once was. To my knowledge, there are very few gyms like the one described above that exist anymore.

This brings us to 2023, so, why don't I go to commercial gyms? Here are the main reasons:

1.Too Loud. 
You walk into a gym and it's like a sports bar. TV's around the room or loud, pounding music. First off, I don't watch much TV and never watch the News. And secondly, 98% of the music is unlistenable and there is now a heavy emphasis in gyms on "rap," which to be honest, is not music.

2.Women.
Now before you call me a homo let me say this, women are a distraction in the gym, and may I add, some much more than others. If I have to explain what I just said, then hand in your alpha male card at the door.

3.Lighting.
The brightness in most commercial gyms is unreal. I prefer a dimmer setting except of course if I am exercising outside during the day.

4.Waiting to use equipment.
This isn't so much an issue for me because I use mostly free weights and dumbbells, but I know it is for many.

The logical question now is? What is the alternative to commercial gyms? Well, the logical answer is that you set up your own. I built one in my garage and it's as basic as you can get. Pulleys and machines? You don't really need them to build a strong, muscular body. If you have a weight bench, weights, a barbell and dumbbell bars and collars to load weights on, that is more than sufficient. You can rely on dumbbells for most every exercise if you don't have a spotter or a squat rack.

If you need a concise, no bullshit book on weight training I can't recommend enough Bradley Steiner's book, 'A Complete Guide to Effective Barbell Training'. The best site to get it on is superstrengthtraining(dot)com. There is so much misinformation on weight training these days as well as over thinking about what is basically a fundamentals based way of working out. 

So guys, Time to get at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment